Sunday, February 28, 2010 | By: KarmaGirl

DOH......Busted!

So I am officially "One of those people". I am only admitting it because I got caught. Yes Red Handed. And there was no way to play it off. So this is how it played out....




So it was the first time in 3 days that I actually ventured out of the house. My other half had been in his 2 day - 20 hour mortgage corporate licensing class (Oh joy doesn't that sound like super fun) and I was nursing a sick 2 and half year old who has, during this time, has shared her germs with me (cough-cough). So I decided it was time to throw on some sweats, a grungy t-shirt and throw my hair in a messy bun (oh and don't be fooled..its not the cute messy bun that all the 20 somethings seem to pull off..oh no...I really mean messy) and head out to one of my favorite grocery establishments - Trader Joe's. I know...I mention its one of my favorites and yet I still don't dress up for it. Shows my dedication right? Imagine how my husband feels since this is my usual attire these days.






So I am there for a few things. The husband is craving warm organic tomato soup (MMMM our favorite) with shaved parm and garlic croutons along with a grilled sourdough havarti and honey sandwich (a little plug for my culinary skills hee-hee). So since I am there, I do have a few other items on the list that need to make it into my basket. So as I glide down the coffee / tea aisle (yes I glide...at least that is how I felt it was going down) and past the sample station I decided on some cough and cold tea to take home and enjoy since I am currently banned from Nyquil until the little one sleeps through the night (yes I am aware that she is almost 3 but she has a tendancy to wander into our bed 27 days out of the month). Pleased with my selection, I made it through the frozen section, popped a few items in the basket and headed over to the chip / breakfast / baking aisle (that covers quite a bit of items don't ya think?). Now see for the past 2 aisles I had been contemplating the tea that was staring back at me like it just wasn't quite sure it was going to hold up its end of the bargain. I was having that ping pong conversation in my head that takes place almost every time I buy something that's NOT on the list (Karma do you really need this? Well I really think I do..it sounds so comforting before I go to bed. Yeah..but don't you already have similar tea in the cupboard at home? Probably but its not that same..I need this one). Lets just say the tea didn't stand a chance in the end. So as I shimmied down the chip / breakfast / baking aisle (see I glided down the coffee / tea aisle its only fair that I now shimmy - sais me). And this is where it happened. As I picked up the bag of jumbo sourdough garlic croutons I made the swap. I put the box of tea in its place.....no one would notice...I was so sly..that kind of tit for tat motion that pretty much makes it past the average human eye.
Then.....SWIPE!!!!!!!! That NOT SO AVERAGE Trader Joe's employee that was not accounted for in my perfect swap scenario quickly grabbed that box of tea before it could settle into a new home near the vanilla extract and no pudge brownie mix and before I could make a clean get away. No words were exchanged. I knew his intention...he was headed to put the tea back in its original, correct resting place. I caught him in my peripheral vision and he turned and walked away like a Traders Joe's Batman probably cursing me and my messy bun. He totally threw off my swagger though. I was mortified. Only because I got caught.



So now my real dilemma...make it through checkout without him opening up a new register and yelling "Maam..I'll take you over here if you're ready".

No comments:

Post a Comment